rescueBite Privacy Notice
Last modified: 28/02/2021
When you use rescueBite, you trust us with your personal data. We’re committed to keeping that trust. That starts with helping you understand our privacy practices.
This notice describes the personal data we collect, how it’s used and shared, and your choices regarding this data.
This notice describes how rescueBite and its affiliates collect and use personal data. This notice applies to all users of our apps, websites, features, or other services anywhere in the world. This notice specifically applies to:
1. Delivery recipients: individuals who request or receive food, or other products and services.
2. Delivery persons: individuals who provide delivery or other services.
3. Restaurant partners: individuals/businesses who serve food or other services.
This notice also governs rescueBite’s other collections of personal data in connection with rescueBite’s services. For example, we may collect the contact information of individuals who use accounts of owners or employees of rescueBite restaurant partners. We may also collect the personal data of those who start but do not complete applications to be delivery persons, those who rent bicycles, scooters, or other light electrical devices offered by other companies through our app, or in connection with our mapping technology and features.
All those subject to this notice are referred to as “users” in this notice.
In addition, please note the following:
1. For Guest Users: The personal data of those who order or receive deliveries via partner websites or apps (such as when ordering from a restaurant or grocery store), or arranged by other account owners (collectively “Guest Users”) may be used for purposes described in this notice, and may be associated with, and accessible by, the owner of that account. This specifically includes Guest 2. Users who receive deliveries ordered by owners of rescueBite accounts, or receive deliveries ordered by friends, family members or others.
3. Our data practices are subject to applicable laws in the places in which we operate. This means that we engage in the practices described in this notice in a particular country or region only if permitted under the laws of those places.
B. Data controller and transfer
rescueBite is the data controller for the personal data collected in connection with use of rescueBite’s services anywhere in the world.
III. Data collections and uses
A. The data we collect
1. Data provided by users to rescueBite, such as during account creation.
2. Data created during use of our services, such as location, app usage, and device data.
3. Data from other sources, such as rescueBite partners and third parties that use rescueBite APIs.
The following data is collected by or on behalf of rescueBite:
1- Data provided by users. This includes:
1. User profile: We collect data when users create or update their rescueBite accounts. This may include their name, email, phone number, login name and password, address, profile picture, payment or banking information (including related payment verification information), delivery person’s license and other government identification documents (which may indicate document numbers as well as birth date, gender, and photo). This also includes vehicle or insurance information of delivery persons, emergency contact information, user settings, and evidence of health or fitness to provide services using rescueBite apps.
This also includes gender and/or occupation. We may use the photos submitted by users to verify their identities, such as through facial recognition technologies. For more information, please see the section titled “How we use personal data.”
Background check and identity verification: We collect background check and identity verification information for delivery persons. This may include information such as driver history or criminal record (where permitted by law), and right to work. This information may be collected by an authorized vendor on rescueBite’s behalf. We also collect identity verification from rescueBite users who request alcohol delivery.
2. Demographic data: We may collect demographic data about users, including through user surveys. In some countries, we may also receive demographic data about users from third parties.
3. User content: We collect the information users submit when they contact rescueBite customer support, provide ratings or compliments for other users or restaurant partners, or otherwise contact rescueBite. This may include feedback, photographs or other recordings collected by users.
2- Data created during use of our services. This includes:
1. Location data (delivery person): rescueBite collects this data when the rescueBite app is running in the foreground (app open and on-screen) or background (app open but not on-screen) of their mobile device. Location data (delivery recipients). We collect precise or approximate location data from delivery recipients’ mobile devices if they enable us to do so. rescueBite collects this data from the time a delivery is requested until it is finished, and any time the app is running in the foreground of their mobile device. We use this data to enhance your use of our apps, including to improve pick-up locations, enable safety features, and prevent and detect fraud. rescueBite collects delivery person location data, and links location data collected during a trip with their delivery recipient’s account, even if the delivery recipient has not enabled us to collect location data from their device. This enables us to offer services to the delivery recipient like receipt generation and customer support.
2. Transaction information: We collect transaction information related to the use of our services, including the type of services requested or provided, order details, delivery information, date and time the service was provided, amount charged, distance travelled, and payment method. Additionally, if someone uses your promotion code, we may associate your name with that person.
3.Usage data: We collect data about how users interact with our services. This includes data such as access dates and times, app features or pages viewed, app crashes and other system activity, type of browser, and third-party sites or services used before interacting with our services. In some cases, we collect this data through cookies, pixels, tags, and similar tracking technologies that create and maintain unique identifiers.
4.Device data: We may collect data about the devices used to access our services, including the hardware models, device IP address, operating systems and versions, software, preferred languages, unique device identifiers, advertising identifiers, serial numbers, device motion data, and mobile network data.
5.Communications data: We enable users to communicate with each other and rescueBite through rescueBite’s mobile apps and websites. For example, we enable restaurants or delivery persons and delivery recipients, to call, text, or send other files to each other (generally without disclosing their telephone numbers to each other). To provide this service, rescueBite receives some data regarding the calls, texts, or other communications, including the date and time of the communications and the content of the communications. rescueBite may also use this data for customer support services (including to resolve disputes between users), for safety and security purposes, to improve our products and services, and for analytics.
6.Rental devices data: We collect data generated by rental devices, such as bicycles, scooters, or other light electric vehicles or devices, when they’re in use. This includes the date and time of use, and the location, route, and distance travelled. To the extent permitted by law, the location data collected from the rental device during the trip will be linked to the renter’s account, even if they have not enabled rescueBite to collect location data from their mobile device.
7.Audio recordings: In certain jurisdictions, and where permitted by law, users can record the audio of their trips through an in-app feature. Recordings are encrypted and stored on users’ devices, and are only shared with rescueBite if submitted to customer support by the users in connection with safety incidents.
3- Data from other sources. This includes:
1. User feedback, such as ratings, feedback, or compliments.
2. Users participating in our referral programs. For example, when a user refers another person, we receive the referred person’s personal data from that user.
3. rescueBite account owners who request services for or on behalf of other users, or who enable such users to request or receive services through their accounts.
4. Users or others providing information in connection with claims or disputes.
5. rescueBite business partners through which users create or access their rescueBite account, such as payment providers, social media services, or apps or websites that use rescueBite’s APIs or whose APIs rescueBite uses.
6. Vendors who help us verify users’ identity, background information, and eligibility to work, for regulatory, safety, and security purposes.
7. Insurance, vehicle, or financial services providers for delivery persons.
8. Partner transportation companies (for delivery persons who use our services through an account associated with such a company).
9. Publicly available sources.
10. Marketing service providers.
rescueBite may combine the data collected from these sources with other data in its possession.
B. How we use personal data
rescueBite collects and uses data to enable reliable and convenient delivery, and other products and services. We also use the data we collect:
1. To enhance the safety and security of our users and services.
2. For customer support.
3. For research and development.
4. To enable communications between users.
5. To send marketing and non-marketing communications to users.
6. In connection with legal proceedings.
rescueBite does not sell or share user personal data with third parties for their direct marketing, except with users’ consent.
rescueBite uses the data it collects for purposes including:
1- Providing services and features. rescueBite uses the data we collect to provide, personalize, maintain, and improve our products and services.
This includes using the data to:
1. Create and update users’ accounts.
2. Verify delivery persons’ identity, background history, and eligibility to work.
3. Enable deliveries, and other services.
4. Offer, process, or facilitate payments for our services.
5. Offer, obtain, provide, or facilitate insurance, vehicle, invoicing, or financing solutions in connection with our services.
6. Track and share the progress of deliveries.
7. Enable features that allow users to share information with other people, such as when delivery recipients provide feedback for a restaurant or delivery person, refer a friend to rescueBite, split delivery fees, or share ETA and location with their contacts.
8. Enable features to personalize users’ rescueBite accounts, such as creating bookmarks for favourite places, and to enable quick access to previous destinations. We may, for example, present a rescueBite user with personalized restaurant or food recommendations based on their prior orders. Please see the section of this notice titled “Choice and transparency” to learn how to object to this use of personal data.
9. Perform internal operations necessary to provide our services, including to troubleshoot software bugs and operational problems; to conduct data analysis, testing, and research; and to monitor and analyse usage and activity trends.
2- Safety and security. We use personal data to help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our services and users. This includes:
1. Screening delivery persons and delivery recipients before enabling their use of our services and at subsequent intervals, including through reviews of background checks, where permitted by law, to help prevent use of our services by unsafe delivery persons and/or delivery recipients.
2. Using data from delivery persons’ devices to help identify unsafe driving behaviours such as speeding or harsh braking and acceleration, and to inform them of safer driving practices. We also use data from delivery persons’ devices to verify the type of vehicles they used to provide deliveries.
3. In certain regions, using information derived from driver’s license photos, and other photos submitted to rescueBite, for safety and security purposes. This also includes comparing photographs that we have on file against photographs (i) of other users to prevent identity-borrowing, and (ii) from public databases to verify user identity.
4. Using device, location, profile, usage, and other data to prevent, detect, and combat fraud or unsafe activities.
5. Using user ratings and feedback to encourage compliance with our guidelines and as grounds for deactivating delivery persons with low ratings or who otherwise violated such guidelines in certain countries.
3- Customer support. rescueBite uses the information we collect (including recordings of customer support calls with notice to and the consent of the user) to provide customer support, including to:
1. Direct questions to the appropriate customer support person.
2. Investigate and address user concerns.
3. Monitor and improve our customer support responses and processes.
4- Research and development. We may use the data we collect for testing, research, analysis, product development, and machine learning to improve the user experience. This helps us to improve and enhance the safety and security of our services, improve our ability to prevent the use of our services for illegal or improper purposes, develop new features and products, and facilitate insurance and finance solutions in connection with our services.
5- Enabling communications between users. For example, a restaurant or delivery persons may call a delivery recipient with information about their order.
6- Marketing. rescueBite may use the data we collect to market our services to our users. This includes sending users communications about rescueBite services, features, promotions, sweepstakes, studies, surveys, news, updates, and events.
We may also send communications to our users about products and services offered by rescueBite partners. For example, if a user has placed a rescueBite order, we may provide recommendations, promotions, or ads about similar food offered by other rescueBite partners. Although we may send users communications about rescueBite partners’ products and services, we do not sell users’ personal data to, or share it with, such partners or others for purposes of their own direct marketing or advertising, except with users’ consent.
We may use the data we collect to personalize the marketing communications (including advertisements) that we send, including based on user location, past use of rescueBite’s services, and user preferences and settings.
We may also send users communications regarding elections, ballots, referenda, and other political and notice processes that relate to our services.
7- Non-marketing communications. rescueBite may use the data we collect to generate and provide users with receipts; inform them of changes to our terms, services, or policies; or send other communications that aren’t for the purpose of marketing the services or products of rescueBite or its partners.
8- Legal proceedings and requirements. We may use the personal data we collect to investigate or address claims or disputes relating to use of rescueBite’s services, or as otherwise allowed by applicable law, or as requested by regulators, government entities, and official inquiries.
9- Automated decision-making:
We use personal data to make automated decisions relating to use of our services. This includes:
1. Enabling dynamic pricing, in which the price of the delivery fee for rescueBite orders, is determined based on constantly varying factors such as the estimated time and distance, the predicted route, estimated traffic, and the number of delivery recipients and delivery persons using rescueBite at a given moment.
2. Matching available delivery persons to users requesting services. Users can be matched based on availability, proximity, and other factors.
3. Determining delivery person ratings, and deactivating delivery recipients, and delivery persons with low ratings. Please also see the section below titled “Ratings look-up” for further information.
4. Deactivating users who are identified as having engaged in fraud or activities that may otherwise harm rescueBite, its users, and others. In some cases, such as when a user is determined to be abusing rescueBite’s referral program, such behaviours may result in automatic deactivation.
To object to a deactivation resulting from these processes, please contact rescueBite customer support.
C. Cookies and third-party technologies
1. Authenticating users.
2. Remembering user preferences and settings.
3. Determining the popularity of content.
4. Delivering and measuring the effectiveness of advertising campaigns.
5. Analysing site traffic and trends, and generally understanding the online behaviours and interests of people who interact with our services.
D. Data sharing and disclosure
Some of rescueBite’s products, services, and features require that we share data with other users or at a user’s request. We may also share data with our affiliates, subsidiaries, and partners, for legal reasons or in connection with claims or disputes.
rescueBite may share the data we collect:
1- With other users:
This includes sharing:
1. Delivery recipients’ first name, delivery address, and order information with their delivery person and restaurant. We may also share ratings and feedback, or other information to the extent required by law, with the restaurant partner and delivery person.
2. For delivery persons, we may share data with the delivery recipient(s) and restaurant partner(s), including name and photo; vehicle make, model, colour, license plate, and vehicle photo; location (before and during trip); average rating provided by users; total number of trips; length of use of the rescueBite app; contact information (depending upon applicable laws); and delivery person profile, including compliments and other feedback submitted by past users.
3. We also provide delivery recipients with receipts containing information such as a breakdown of amounts charged, delivery person first name, photo, route map, and such other information required on invoices in the country or region where the delivery person operates.
4. For those who participate in rescueBite’s referral program, we share certain personal data of referred users, such as trip count, with the user who referred them, to the extent relevant to determining the referral bonus.
2- At the user’s request:
This includes sharing data with:
rescueBite business partners. For example, if a user requests a service through a partnership or promotional offering made by a third party, rescueBite may share certain data with those third parties. This may include, for example, other services, platforms, apps, or websites that integrate with our APIs; vehicle suppliers or services; those with an API or service with which we integrate; or restaurant partners or other rescueBite business partners and their users in connection with promotions, contests, or specialized services.
3- With the general public:
Questions or comments from users submitted through public forums such as rescueBite blogs and rescueBite social media pages may be viewable by the public, including any personal data included in the questions or comments submitted by a user.
4- With the rescueBite account owner:
If a user places an order using an account owned by another party, we may share their order or trip information, including real-time location data, with the owner of that account. This occurs, for example, when:
1. A delivery person uses an account owned by or associated with a rescueBite partner transportation company or restaurant.
2. A delivery person acts as a substitute.
5- With rescueBite subsidiaries and affiliates:
We share data with our subsidiaries and affiliates to help us provide our services or conduct data processing on our behalf. For example, rescueBite processes and stores data in Africa on behalf of its international affiliates.
6- With rescueBite’s service providers and business partners:
rescueBite provides data to vendors, consultants, marketing partners, research firms, and other service providers or business partners. These include:
1. Payment processors and facilitators.
2. Background check and identity verification providers (delivery persons).
3. Cloud storage providers.
6. Marketing partners and marketing platform providers, including social media advertising services.
7. Data analytics providers.
8. Research partners, including those performing surveys or research projects in partnership with rescueBite or on rescueBite’s behalf.
9. Vendors that assist rescueBite to enhance the safety and security of its apps.
10. Consultants, lawyers, accountants, and other professional service providers.
11. Fleet partners.
12. Insurance and financing partners.
14. Lime and other local providers.
15. Restaurant partners and/or their point-of-sale providers.
16. Vehicle solution vendors or third-party vehicle suppliers.
7- For legal reasons or in the event of a dispute:
rescueBite may share users’ personal data if we believe it’s required by applicable law, regulation, operating license or agreement, legal process or governmental request, or where the disclosure is otherwise appropriate due to safety or similar concerns.
This includes sharing personal data with law enforcement officials, public health officials, other government authorities, airports (if required by the airport authorities as a condition of operating on airport property), or other third parties as necessary to enforce our Terms of Service, user agreements, or other policies; to protect rescueBite’s rights or property or the rights, safety, or property of others; or in the event of a claim or dispute relating to the use of our services. If you use another person’s credit card, we may be required by law to share your personal data, including trip or order information, with the owner of that credit card.
This also includes sharing personal data with others in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, consolidation or restructuring, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by or into another company.
8- With consent:
rescueBite may share a user’s personal data other than as described in this notice if we notify the user and they consent to the sharing.
E. Data retention and deletion
1. rescueBite retains user data for as long as necessary for the purposes described above.
2. Users may request deletion of their accounts at any time. rescueBite may retain user data after a deletion request due to legal or regulatory requirements or for the reasons stated in this policy.
3. rescueBite retains user data for as long as necessary for the purposes described above. This means that we retain different categories of data for different periods of time depending on the category of user to whom the data relates, the type of data, and the purposes for which we collected the data.
4. Users may request deletion of their account at any time through contacting rescueBite support.
Following an account deletion request, rescueBite deletes the user’s account and data, unless they must be retained due to legal or regulatory requirements, for purposes of safety, security, and fraud prevention, or because of an issue relating to the user’s account such as an outstanding credit or an unresolved claim or dispute. Because we are subject to legal and regulatory requirements relating to delivery persons, this generally means that we retain their account and data for a minimum of 7 years after a deletion request. For delivery recipients, their data is generally deleted within 90 days of a deletion request, except where retention is necessary for the above reasons.
F. Grounds for processing
We only collect and use personal data where we have lawful grounds to do so. These include processing user personal data to provide requested services and features, for purposes of rescueBite’s legitimate interests or those of other parties, to fulfill our legal obligations, or based on consent.
IV. Choice and transparency
We collect and use personal data only where we have one or more lawful grounds for doing so. Such grounds may vary depending on where our users are located, but generally include processing personal data:
A- To provide requested services and features:
In order to provide our services, we must collect and use certain personal data. This includes:
1. User profile data, which we use to establish and maintain user accounts; verify user identity; communicate with users about their trips, orders, and accounts; and enable users to make payments or receive earnings.
2. Background trip information, which is used to verify an applicant’s eligibility to be a delivery person.
5. Transaction information.
6. Information relating to customer support.
B- For purposes of the legitimate interests of rescueBite or other parties:
This includes using personal data to maintain and enhance our users’ safety and security. For example, we use personal data to prevent use of our services by users who have engaged in inappropriate or dangerous behaviours, such as by retaining data of banned users to prevent their use of rescueBite’s apps. We also use usage data to prevent matching of delivery recipients and delivery persons for whom there is higher risk of conflict (for instance, because they have been the subject of prior complaints from other users).
This also includes purposes such as combating fraud; improving our services, direct marketing, research, and development; and enforcing rescueBite’s Terms of Service.
In addition, it includes using personal data to the extent necessary for the interests of other people or the general public, such as in connection with legal or insurance claims, and to protect the rights and safety of others.
C- To fulfil rescueBite’s legal obligations:
For example, rescueBite is subject to laws and regulations in many cities and countries that require it to collect and retain data about our users’ trips and deliveries, and to provide copies of such data to the government or other authorities. We collect and use personal data to comply with such laws.
rescueBite may also share data with law enforcement regarding criminal acts or threats to public safety, or requests by third parties pursuant to legal processes. rescueBite may also share information with public health authorities where required or permitted by law.
D- With consent:
rescueBite may collect and use personal data based on the user’s consent. For example, we may collect personal data through voluntary surveys. Responses to such surveys are collected on the basis of consent and will be deleted once no longer necessary for the purposes collected.
A user who has provided consent to a collection or use of their personal data can revoke it at any time. However, the user will not be able to use any service or feature that requires collection or use of that personal data.
rescueBite enables users to access and control the data that rescueBite collects, including through:
1. In-app settings.
2. Device permissions.
A- Privacy settings:
Settings menus in the rescueBite app for users give them the ability to set or update their location-sharing preferences and their preferences for receiving mobile notifications from rescueBite. Information about these settings, how to set or change these settings, and the effect of turning off these settings is described below.
1. Location data:
rescueBite uses delivery recipients’ device location services to make it easier to receive an order whenever they need one. Location data helps improve our services, including delivery drop-offs, navigation, and customer support.
Delivery recipients can enable or disallow such collections through the settings on their mobile device.
2. Notifications: account and trip updates:
rescueBite provides users with trip status notifications and updates related to activity on their account. These notifications are a necessary part of using the rescueBite app and cannot be disabled. However, users may choose the method by which they receive these notifications through the Settings > Privacy menus in the rescueBite app.
3. Notifications: discounts and news:
Users may enable rescueBite to send push notifications about discounts and news from rescueBite. Push notifications may be enabled or disabled through the Settings > Privacy menus in the rescueBite app.
4. Communications from restaurant partners:
Delivery recipients who have opted in to communications from restaurant partners may stop sharing their data with each restaurant partner in their rescueBite account settings.
B- Device permissions:
Most mobile device platforms (iOS, Android, etc.) have defined certain types of device data that apps cannot access without the device owner’s permission, and these platforms have different methods for how that permission can be obtained. iOS devices notify users the first time the rescueBite app requests permission to access certain types of data and gives users the option to grant or refuse permission. Android devices notify users of the permissions that the rescueBite app seeks before their first use of the app, and use of the app constitutes a grant of such permission.
C- Ratings look-up:
After every delivery trip, delivery persons and delivery recipients are able to rate each other on a scale. An average of those ratings is associated with a user’s account and is displayed to other users for whom they provide or receive services. For example, delivery recipient ratings are available to delivery persons from whom they request a delivery, and delivery person ratings are available to their delivery recipients.
This 2-way system holds everyone accountable for their behaviours. Accountability helps create a respectful, safe environment for delivery persons and delivery recipients.
1. Delivery recipients can see their average rating in the rescueBite app.
D- Marketing opt-outs:
Users may opt out of receiving promotional emails from rescueBite. Users may also opt out of receiving emails and other messages from rescueBite by following the unsubscribe instructions in those messages. We may still send users who have opted out non-promotional communications, such as receipts for delivery orders or information about their account.
E- User data requests:
rescueBite provides users with a variety of ways to learn about, control, and submit questions and comments about rescueBite’s handling of their data.
1. Accessing data: Users can ask for an explanation of the data we collect from them and how we use it.
2. Receiving data: Users can ask for a copy of data that rescueBite collects from them with their consent or as necessary to provide our services.
3. Changing or updating data: Users can edit the name, phone number, email address, payment method, and photo associated with their account through the Settings menu in rescueBite’s apps or portals. They may also ask that rescueBite change or update their data, including if they believe such data is inaccurate or incomplete.
4. Deleting data: Users may request deletion of their account at any time.
Objections, restrictions, and complaints: Users may request that we stop using all or some of their personal data, or that we limit our use of their data. rescueBite may continue to process data after such objection or request to the extent required or permitted by law.